Dalgona coffee is the trendiest new way to get your caffeine fix.
The quarantine has done many things, but making us more creative is one definite upside. Whether you’ve been building a blanket fort, recreating restaurant dishes, or sketching Disney characters, lockdown sure has got the creative juices flowing. Which is probably why a certain caffeinated drink has been sweeping the Internet of late, with every coffee-lover itching to give it a try. It’s called Dalgona coffee, the viral Korean drink which has been everywhere lately, and here’s how you can make it at home – with as little as four ingredients!
A real gastronomic hit, Dalgona coffee has had TikTok and Instagram buzzing lately – it’s a fast and delicious coffee that you can prepare at home, as this handy little video reveals:
This coffee production has its origins in South Korea, where actor Jung Il-Woo gave the drink its name by comparing its taste to Dalgona caramel, a traditional Korean sweet. Preparing Dalgona coffee is simple, fast, and you only need four ingredients.
- Four tablespoons of soluble coffee
- Two teaspoons of sugar
- Four teaspoons of hot water
- 150ml of milk
- Combine the sugar, coffee, and hot water in a bowl.
- When all the ingredients are mixed, you should obtain a creamy mixture (it’s important that the water is hot to achieve this texture, and that the coffee and sugar are well dissolved). You can do this manually or with an electric whisk.
- When you have the cream ready, fill two thirds of a glass of milk. The rest of the glass is then filled with the prepared coffee mixture.
- To add a touch of decadence, you can add whipped cream, or sprinkle cinnamon or cocoa powder on top.
You can also make cold Dalgona coffee, simply by making the same recipe but adding ice to the milk before pouring on the whipped coffee. Congratulations, you’ve officially joined the hype train!