It’s common knowledge that everyone’s concept of time and social norms get thrown out of the window at the airport. So what if it’s 5am? Noone’s batting an eyelid if you’re sinking pints surrounded by stags and hens dressed in all manner of clobber. Groups of grown men in tutus throwing back Jäger shots? Standard. Or perhaps you’re alone, necking neat whiskies to try and forget your fear of flying. Literally nobody is judging. But whoever you are, wherever you’re going, whatever time it is: it’s important to fill up on some food before you board, because nobody really wants a soggy Ryanair ham and cheese croissant. They’re for essential consumption only.
Travel experts at The Family Vacation Guide have analysed data from a bunch of review platforms, including Google and TripAdvisor, to rank the very best airport restaurants around the world according to their food ratings. And you’ll never guess which objectively sublime spot features in the top ten? Oh yes, it’s none other than Stansted Airport’s Wetherspoons: The Windmill.
It’s up there with some real foodie icons, including All Bar One at Birmingham Airport no less, and frankly I’m not surprised. I mean what’s not to love? Cold beer on tap, passable Full Englishes, panoramic views of the runway, and that contagious pre-holiday energy. Spoons wouldn’t usually be my tavern of choice, let’s be real, but The Windmill has a hold on me like no other. You can whinge about Stansted all you like, but you know that once you’ve made it through security and nabbed yourself a seat at this elite establishment, you are winning.
The top 10 airport restaurants around the world:
1. One Flew South – Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport – Atlanta, Georgia, United States (Average score: 4.5)
2. Root Down – Denver International Airport – Denver, Colorado, United States (Average score: 4.5)
3. Sushi Kyotatsu – Narita International Airport – Tokyo, Japan (Average score: 4.4)
4. La Carreta – Miami International Airport – Miami, Florida, United States (Average score: 4.1)
5. All Bar One – Birmingham Airport – Birmingham, England (Average score: 4.0)
6. Bamee – Munich International Airport – Munich, Germany (Average score: 4.0)
7. Harry and Izzy’s – Indianapolis International Airport – Indianapolis, Indiana, United States (Average score: 4.0)
8. The Windmill – Stansted Airport – London, England (Average score: 4.0)
9. Obrycki’s – Baltimore/Washington International Airport – Baltimore, Maryland, United States (Average score: 3.9)
10. Berghoff Cafe – O’Hare International Airport – Chicago, Illinois, United States (Average score: 3.9)
So there you have it: you now know where to fly to if you want a banging meal before flying home again. And don’t forget to consider Stansted’s world class Spoons when picking an airport to fly from for your next adventure out of London.
Also published on Medium.