Thousands of Londoners are daring to bare this June as the free World Naked Bike Ride returns for its sixteenth year.
If you can’t bear the thought of public nudity, consider this a public service announcement. But if you’ve always fancied taking a bike ride in the buff, your chance arrives with the World Naked Bike Ride, hitting London on Saturday, June 8th.
Every summer, this naked revolution takes to the streets in order to protest car culture and global oil dependency whilst simultaneously promote body positivity. These people aren’t just getting naked for the sake of it, you see – it’s all for a serious cause, despite your incessant giggling.
From seven starting points across the city – offering everything from short, slow rides to faster, longer rides – the World Naked Bike Ride will converge in Central London. In fact, when they’re all together on the approach to Wellington Arch, the convey will stretch to a glorious 4km of nakedness.
I don’t even want to think about the chafing this is going to result in, to be honest. The World Naked Bike Ride will eventually make their extremely nudey point across 65km of congested and polluted roads, as well as fourteen bridges. Don’t expect any inclement British weather to put them off, either – I’d imagine cycling naked through the rain is extra freeing!
It’s free to join in and, while nudity is encouraged, you’re welcome to take part wearing whatever makes you feel comfortable – so expect lashings of body paint and props aplenty. (You are, however, asked not to strip off until you get to the rendezvous point though!)
All you need to do is turn up at one of the following locations with a bike (and a sense of humour):
- Clapham Junction – Grant Road, SW11 2NU – arrive at 2:30pm for a 2:45pm ride.
- Deptford – Matchstick Piehouse, SE8 5HD – arrive at 1pm for a 2pm ride.
- Hyde Park – North Carriage Drive, near Marble Arch – arrive at 1:45pm for a 3pm ride.
- Kew Bridge – North end of Kew Bridge, near W4 3NQ – arrive at 1:30pm for a 1:45pm ride.
- Regents Park – Outer Circle, near NW1 4NA – arrive at 2:20pm for a 2:50pm ride.
- Tower Hill – Trinity Square Gardens, EC3N 4DJ – arrive at 2pm for a 2:45pm ride.
- West Norwood – 242 Norwood Road, SE27 9AW – arrive at 12pm for a 2:30pm ride.
It all ends with a blowout afterparty in Central London, although no-one has quite confirmed whether that’s clothing-optional as well. Do follow the World Naked Bike Ride Facebook page for last-minute updates, lest you end up naked, alone and feeling very awkward.
Featured image: @chichiwawawa
Also published on Medium.