Sass and class (occasionally) from Twitter after the news breaks.
So, it’s been confirmed that Donald Trump will be visiting the UK this summer for bilateral talks with Theresa May and a meet-and-greet with the Queen. Whilst the July 13th isn’t a full state visit (so the Don won’t get a fancy dinner), it’s still, erm, a touchy subject. And Twitter had a couple of thoughts on the matter…
1. The question on everyone’s lips.
2. Sadiq Khan, Mayor of Sassytown.
If he comes to London, President Trump will experience an open and diverse city that has always chosen unity over division and hope over fear. He will also no doubt see that Londoners hold their liberal values of freedom of speech very dear.
— Sadiq Khan (@SadiqKhan) April 26, 2018
(Shade, consider yourself thrown.)
3. I mean, free bank holiday?
They should make it a national holiday and we can literally all leave London for the day and ignore the daft old clown/sexual predator/ racist. Close it down. #trumpvisit
— Jane Slavin (@JaneSlavin) April 27, 2018
4. Because no-one’s going to get any work done, let’s be honest.
And so, on the 13th of July, the streets of the UK will be flooded with sensible people screaming GET FUCKED WOTSIT HITLER and nothing else will get done.
— TechnicallyRon (@TechnicallyRon) April 26, 2018
5. This kind of narrows down your options, Donald.
— Jon Sopel (@BBCJonSopel) April 26, 2018
6. Larry the Cat is having none of that, thank you very much.
If Trump even thinks about grabbing this pussy he’ll find out it’s got claws… #trumpvisit
— Larry the Cat (@Number10cat) April 26, 2018
7. This guy hit him where it hurts.
8. Perhaps in place of the national anthem?
9. Some people got creative.
— David Schneider (@davidschneider) April 26, 2018
10. But then again…
— Gregory Olson (@fordoers) April 26, 2018
11. Words from someone who’s seen it all.
As I am 95 years old, I know what fascism looks like that's why when Donald Trump comes to visit Britain, I'll be out on the streets protesting because his politics is the same politics as Mussolini and Hitler's. #FridayThe13th pic.twitter.com/qvsSZrrUKO
— John Smith (son of Harry Leslie Smith) (@Harryslaststand) April 26, 2018
12. But is it better than Secret Service protection?
Downing Street confirms that Trump will be protected by "an impenetrable bubble formed from Piers Morgan's obsequious, fawning drool" when he visits.
— Jason (@NickMotown) April 27, 2018
13. How else do you deal with an unwanted guest?
— Rod Kelly (@rodkelly50) April 26, 2018
14. Oh, maybe like this!
Oh why the fuss? We’ve all had a visitor we can’t stand at some point. Just be polite, give him some cold cuts, let him use the loo then boil wash the sheets when he’s gone. #trumpvisit
— Shappi Khorsandi (@ShappiKhorsandi) April 26, 2018
— Monty & Me (@CosyandMonty) April 27, 2018
16. Some groups have suggested he go to Scotland instead.
— Kate O'Donnell 🏴🇪🇺 (@odo_kate) April 27, 2018
17. How has that gone down in Scotland?
Donald Trump's relationship with #Scotland is effectively that of a stalker. We once – to our eternal shame – had a fling with him, and now we just can't get rid of the predatory old fucker. #trumpvisit #FridayThe13th
— Moon Song 🏴 (@EndlessTrees) April 27, 2018
18. Something makes me think this isn’t actually Boris Johnson…
— Parody Boris Johnson (@BorisJohnson_MP) April 26, 2018
19. But this one actually is Boris Johnson, and he’s clearly been taking ‘Twitter 101 with Donald Trump’.
FANTASTIC news that President @realdonaldtrump will at last come to Britain on 13 July. Looking forward to seeing our closest ally and friend on the GREATest visit ever. 👌🇬🇧🇺🇸
— Boris Johnson #StayAlert (@BorisJohnson) April 26, 2018
20. Talk about kicking up a stink…
— westendproducer (@westendproducer) April 26, 2018
21. Alternative visitors were unavailable.
Bloody hell! The nightmare of Trump is coming! Couldn't it be Jason Voorhees instead? Freddy Krueger? Michael Myers? Pinhead? I'll even take Candyman by saying his name 3 times in a mirror! 😫 #trumpvisit #friday13th https://t.co/RCAQLJDegy
— Nikki 😷 (@80sretro215) April 27, 2018
22. In place of Glastonbury, we’ve got OrangeFest.
23. People are already working on the signs.
— Mr Polly (@MrPolly_) April 26, 2018
24. Well, we may not want him here, but at least we’re polite about it!
Dear America, please let your president know that Britain won't be able to see him on July 13th, after all. We're closed that day, sorry. #trumpvisit #shuttheborder @jmichaelantonio @DaBundstersMom pic.twitter.com/AjMck2CoLa
— Judith O'Toole, sleep-averse (@jcstaff_) April 27, 2018
Featured image: @kumell