Calling all beer-loves, cider-sippers, and pub-fanatics. CAMRA (or the Campaign for Real Ale) has gone ahead and crowned the Greater London Pub Of The Year for 2023. Based on votes from members, who had to visit all shortlisted pubs before voting, the best pub in London is… drum roll, please… The Hope in Carshalton!
The community-owned pub describes itself as being “by beer enthusiasts for beer enthusiasts”. Set within the Carshalton conservation area, the pub also has an all-weather beer garden where you can while away the summer days, or huddle around a fire on cold nights.
Thanks to a diverse beer offering, and a welcoming atmosphere, The Hope has previously claimed the crown a whopping five times.
The top pubs in the UK
CAMRA wasn’t content with just crowning the best pub in London (ahem, Greater London). They’ve also released a list of the top 16 pubs in the UK. The pubs were selected based on “atmosphere, decor, welcome, service, inclusivity, overall impression, but most importantly – the quality of live beer, real cider and perry”. After all, you can’t exactly expect the Campaign for Real Ale to not prioritize real ale!
Last year’s winner was the Tamworth Tap in Staffordshire, which has once again earned a place in the national shortlist. See the full list below:
- Central Southern: Butchers Arms, Balscote
- East Anglia: Endeavour, Chelmsford
- East Midlands: Horse & Jockey, Stapleford
- Greater London: Hope, Carshalton
- Greater Manchester: Fox & Pine, Oldham
- Kent: Nelson Arms, Tonbridge
- Merseyside – Cheshire: Turks Head, St Helens
- North East: Grey Horse, Consett
- Scotland & Northern Ireland: Hillend Tavern, Dalgety Bay, Fife
- South West: Halfway House, Pitney, Somerset
- Surrey & Sussex: Watchmaker’s Arms, Hove
- Wales: Magic Dragon Brewery Tap, Wrexham
- Wessex: Barking Cat Alehouse, Poole
- West Midlands: Tamworth Tap, Tamworth
- West Pennines: Trafalgar Hotel, Ramsey, Isle of Man
- Yorkshire: Beer Engine, Skipton
All of these pubs will now go into the running for the National Pub of the Year 2023. Ahead of crowning the winner in early 2024, the final four will be announced in October.
Who will come out victorious? Does London have the best pub in all of the land? Stay tuned to find out…
You can find The Hope, the winner of this year’s ‘Greater London Pub of the Year’ at 48 West Street, Carshalton, Surrey, SM5 2PR. The nearest station is Carshalton, which is just under an hour’s journey from Waterloo.