The mother of all virtual concerts took place over the weekend.
“One World: Together At Home” raised an impressive $127 million for Coronavirus relief. It is the biggest virtual event seen so far this lockdown. (Yes, even bigger than Joe Wicks’ PE lessons.)
The event, curated by Lady Gaga and set-up by the World Health Organization and Global Citizen, took the format of a two-hour livestream. It boasted performances from John Legend, The Rolling Stones, Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift and many more.
$55.1 million will go to the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund and $72.8 million will benefit local and regional responders.
Here are some of the best moments from Saturday’s concert:
1. Celine Dion, Andrea Bocelli, Lady Gaga, Lang Lang, John Legend sung a spine-tingling rendition of “The Prayer”
2. The Rolling Stones performed a full-band, socially distant rendition of “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”
3. Elton John performed “I’m Still Standing”
4. The Killers did “Mr Brightside”, because of course they did.
They weren’t allowed to come out of their cage though — you know, with lockdown and all.
5. Billie Eilish & Finneas performed “Sunny”
6. Camila Cabello & Shawn Mendes performed “What A Wonderful World”
7. Stevie Wonder came and conquered as per, with a beautiful tribute to Bill Withers
8. Lady Gaga, the driving force behind the concert, also performed a solo rendition of “Smile”
9. Taylor Swift performed “Soon You’ll Get Better”
10. Jennifer Lopez performed “People”
11. John Legend and Sam Smith sung a duet of “Stand By Me”
12. And most importantly, far above the music, we heard from heroic healthcare workers around the world who have fearlessly put themselves on the frontline.
We are right behind you.
All in all, it was a spectacular show with a hefty sum raised. You can view every single performance over at Global Citizen’s YouTube channel.