Flatsharing in London is a necessity. A survival mechanism almost every Londoner must adopt. And we don’t mean a nice two bed with your BFF, complete with air con, balcony and tumble dryer. We’re talking 6 people in a house designed for 4, no living room and a 1 square foot bathroom so dirty that you’d rather shower in a puddle. Buuuut with London living prices, it’s got to be done. We said goodbye to the idea of owning property a long time ago, and now it’s time to admit to ourselves that perhaps the dream of moving in with just your other half ain’t gonna be happening anytime soon either. Laura the ‘temporary’ lodger, doesn’t-do-the-dishes-Dave and what-rubbish-bin-William are here to stay…*sob*
1. There are so many options that you don’t know where to start.
2. Yet nothing is ever actually remotely liveable, never mind acceptably £700 a month.
3. Words like ‘cosy’ take on new meanings.
4. You’ll soon discover that people are just the worst.
5. But you’ll start to consider doing things that you really never would have, just to find a house.
6. Prospective housemates want your whole life story before you can even see the room.
7. Eventually you decide that you could settle living with OK people.
8. But that room turns out to not be available until well after you need to move.
9. So you have to move in with the least serial-killer household.
10. Which includes the neat freak.
11. The borrower.
12. And the borderline alcoholic.
13. Which is when the fun really begins.
14. Someone will always start showering when you need a wee.
15. And you will all want to do your washing on the same day.
16. There will be an obvious hierarchy of who does most of the cleaning, but only the person at the top will be fully aware of this.
17. The person with the most expensive shampoo/food/toothpaste will hide it in their room.
18. The only time a proper clean is done is when someone’s parents come to visit.
19. A vegetable will be left in the fridge so long that it will become unidentifiable.
20. There will be one housemate with a strange food/personal habit.
21. And one who is incapable of being both drunk and quiet.
22. And there will always be hair in the sink.
Featured Image Credit: Daily Mail