While all cities of course have their own things to offer – New York has yellow cabs, Rome has the Coliseum, Newcastle has…trebles? London truly is one of the most unique and exciting cities to live in. So aside from all our whining and whinging about public transport and tourists, we’d like to take a moment to reflect on our remarkable city and remind you of some of the things that you can do here that you simply wouldn’t be able to do anywhere else… *Cue a rising feeling of pride* ☺️
1. Try to make the Queen’s guard break composure.
2. Be in the midst of the city one minute…
3. …and here the next.
4. Straddle the Meridian Line at Greenwich.
5. Explore the (reconstructed) Globe Theatre.
6. Eat waffles at any time in the sky.
7. Explore St Dunstan-in-the-East – the ruins of a church that that was destroyed in the Blitz.
8. Get involved in a public debate at Speakers’ Corner in Hyde Park.
9. Spend Sunday surrounded by flora on Columbia Road Flower Market.
10. Drink and dine in a giant, cosy igloo by the Thames.
12. Go through a fridge and into a bar.
13. Go into a juice bar, into a real bar.
And there’s plenty more where that came from – find out the locations of London’s secret bars here.
14. Get to Hogwarts via Platform 9 3/4.
15. Sit at the front of a double-decker bus with an incredible view. For £1.50.
16. Ice skate outside the place where Anne Boleyn, Guy Fawkes and Sir Walter Raleigh were executed.
Perhaps a little morbid?
17. Explore London’s abandoned tube stations.
18. Get a coffee from a red telephone box.
19. Take a cable car over the city and be in absolute awe of the place.
Feature image credit: Jason Hawkes